Quote of the Moment:
"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up."
- Hunter S. Thompson

Sunday, January 15, 2012

His First Tools

My dad is a genius. No, really. He is. When I was growing up, instead of just getting toys like most kids, my dad bought me tools for my birthday, Christmas, etc. I still got toys, don't get me wrong, but Dad was a man of foresight. Why just buy toys that will be grown out of, broken, or lost? Instead, he bought me something that I'd use the rest of my life. And better still, he didn't just buy me tools, he taught me how to use them!

Fast forward 15 years or so and I now have a garage/shop full of tools! To buy all of them at one time would be nearly impossible -- and expensive. But by buying a few at a time, over many years, I now have all the means necessary to provide for my family in a very special way. Dad always bought quality stuff too, the stuff that would last. And I'm so grateful for that example.

Now, the tradition continues with Jeremy. He already has plenty of toy tools he likes to play with, but we were at Home Depot the other night and he said he was ready to get "big boy" tools. He now has his own toolbox (that he can't wait to fill up!), a crescent wrench, and a couple of pairs of pliers. It isn't much, but it's a start. And he's only 3. But someday, his wife is going to be very pleasantly surprised, just like Amber was, the day she finds out she married a man who knows how to swing a hammer... and run a skill saw... and build her a home. Here's to you, Dad. I can't thank you enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment