Quote of the Moment:
"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up."
- Hunter S. Thompson

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Released

After over two and a half years of serving as the Elders Quorum President, I was released last week. I've been trying to write this post ever since and I'm still struggling to find the words right now. On the one hand, it feels really great. I can honestly say that I gave it my best efforts and did everything I could for the Quorum and loved those I served. I feel so humbled by and so happy with what we were able to accomplish and for the experiences I had personally that helped me grow. I know that my service was accepted by the Lord and that I did well and that feeling alone is priceless.

On the other hand, this is really hard. It's hard to step away from anything that you devoted and dedicated so much time, energy, and life to for such a long time. While the bishop has assured me that I can and should continue to be involved with these people I've grown so close to, I will miss being able to drop by any time unannounced when the inspiration comes. I'll miss the responsibility and the inspiration that comes with such a great calling. I'll miss working so closely with my councilors and secretaries, men who I look up to so much and feel that they were always better than I was. We'll always been connected after these experiences together. I was always afraid I asked too much of them, but they never complained. They always stuck with me. We've become close friends and I trust them and depend on them so much. I'll really miss being involved in that level of the ward and with those great men...

Back to the other hand, I feel so much lighter now. I can already feel in this past week a greater joy in other things that I didn't notice as much before. For the first time in over two years, I feel like I have more time for self reflection and improvement. All of a sudden reading my scriptures doesn't feel like such a daunting task anymore. It's kind of silly that these things are easier all of a sudden, but I guess it's because I didn't realize how much time I spent consciously subconsciously thinking of others and what was going on in the Quorum.

It was quite the process getting released. There were multiple interviews and times to share testimony. My testimony grew so much in these two and a half years! A lot of tears were shed as well. Tears while meeting with the Stake Presidency, with the Bishopric, with the new Elders Quorum President, with my councilors, with the Quorum. I even cried when I handed over the key to the building! They are always tears of joy and love though. What a joy it is to look back now and feel like more experience was gained, personal growth achieved, and a greater purpose found. I can honestly say I was able to perform every possible Priesthood ordinance and blessing possible for me while serving as the Elders Quorum President. I can't even begin to describe how strong my testimony is of the Priesthood, that it is the literal power of God on the earth and that it is real. These Priesthood keys are real. And I know that they are true, just as this Church is true.

My wife has been so good, so patient, so gracious, and so caring throughout this whole process. Unfortunately, she wasn't there to hear my words of gratitude in any of the other meetings, so I'll give her the shout out now. Amber is amazing. Calls came in the middle of dinner, late at night, even on our son's birthday, and she never said no. She always supported me and advised me. I could not have done this without her. She truly is my source of inspiration and guidance and I'm so incredibly lucky to have a good wife to stand beside me. She shared the same vision of raising Jeremy as I did, that we wanted him to see his dad serving in the Church and to know of its importance. We want him to know his dad takes his Priesthood responsibilities seriously, just as Amber and I saw our dads do the same. (On that note, what a coincidence that I was released on Father's Day.) Amber is the greatest person I've ever known. I can't thank her enough.

So I guess this is the end of one chapter in my life and the eventual start to another. It was a great ride. It's hard to imagine anything else coming close to this as far as callings go. I'm sure others will be just as good or better. But this is a very special calling and I'm so grateful I got the chance to experience it. This has been a very personal post, but I can't help but want to share my feelings and proclaim my gratitude to and testimony of a loving Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ who have never given up on me. On the contrary, They never let me forget They are there. They live. They love us all. I know that to be true.

1 comment:

  1. oh we love this. its kind of sad, like you said - but all chapters come to a close so new ones can begin! much love!

    ReplyDelete