I've been thinking a lot lately about some of the things going on around me. Serving as the Elders Quorum President in the ward for the past 2 1/2 years has put me in a lot of situations and circumstances that have really put things into perspective for me. Over the years, there have been times where I've been asked to be a "marriage councilor" or a "mechanic" or any number of things. One thing in particular has really hit me, however. We have some friends in the ward that I've grown really close to lately and they're going through an overwhelming battle with terminal cancer. John is my age, and has already gone through cancer multiple times. Tressa lost her dad to cancer and is now watching it try to take her husband as well. One of their daughters has special needs. And they are fighting something completely beyond their control. And somehow, in the midst of what appears to be insurmountable odds, they still find joy and happiness.
John is a FIGHTER. He decided to fore go cancer treatment at one point because he wanted to enjoy what time he had left with his family, opting for a more holistic route. When more tumors were found, he got back on the treatments because he wasn't going down without a fight. Tressa is as tough as nails and I'm constantly amazing at how she's able to hold everything together and not just shut down.
How grateful I am for an amazing, loving wife and son and that we all have good health. I appreciate Amber and Jeremy so much! So many times this past few months I've soaked my pillow in tears as I've prayed on the Casper's behalf. I think we're all trying to put our faith in a miracle, and yet know that ultimately it's up to the Lord. Like John, we won't stop doing all we can. I hope they know how much so many of us, me in particular, admire and hurt for them. They're a great inspiration to me. This whole thing has made me appreciate the little things in my life so much more and deal better with the minor trials that come my way.
Here's the link to their blog. It's definitely worth a follow: http://johncaspersjourney.blogspot.com/
Thanks for writing such nice things Jake, I was just thinking today that I hope people don't take advantage of what they can do. I hope that people don't take advantage of time with their families and spending it wisely. I was reminded just recently after a trip to the temple that we are not here for here, we are here for there! I cannot forget the promises we have been promised, and I am holding Heavenly Father to them! haha
ReplyDeleteI am thankful for all of you too! For everyone's support and love! Thanks Jake for being you!!
Tressa