Tonight I had the opportunity to speak at the Eagle Court of Honor for one of the young men I taught in our old ward. It was quite the honor to be asked to share some thoughts and be present to see Josh receive this award. I couldn't help be remember all the great experiences I've had through Scouting and all that I've learned. I literally grew up in the Scouting program having a dad who was the Scoutmaster for most of my life. It was a pretty neat experience to be up there myself after watching my dad do countless Eagle Courts for so many years. It's also cool to me that I can still recite the Scout Oath and Law and remember so many of the things that I learned in Scouts. It's not just the knots and learning to make campfires, though. I learned so much about life and becoming a man in Scouting. They say that going on a mission prepares you to become a great man and husband and father. Scouting prepares you to be a great missionary. I don't think I ever really took for granted what a blessing it was to be a Boy Scout because I always enjoyed it so much. But I don't think I ever realized more than I did tonight how much it meant to have my dad there with me so much. We got to go on a lot of trips together. I got to see so many amazing things with him in a Scout uniform! I know I couldn't have had a better teacher and leader. Being an Eagle Scout puts you in great company... Men who have led countries, walked on the moon, won professional sports championships... But none of them are cooler than my dad. Thanks, Dad.
Quote of the Moment:
"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up."
- Hunter S. Thompson
"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Eagle Scout Court of Honor
Tonight I had the opportunity to speak at the Eagle Court of Honor for one of the young men I taught in our old ward. It was quite the honor to be asked to share some thoughts and be present to see Josh receive this award. I couldn't help be remember all the great experiences I've had through Scouting and all that I've learned. I literally grew up in the Scouting program having a dad who was the Scoutmaster for most of my life. It was a pretty neat experience to be up there myself after watching my dad do countless Eagle Courts for so many years. It's also cool to me that I can still recite the Scout Oath and Law and remember so many of the things that I learned in Scouts. It's not just the knots and learning to make campfires, though. I learned so much about life and becoming a man in Scouting. They say that going on a mission prepares you to become a great man and husband and father. Scouting prepares you to be a great missionary. I don't think I ever really took for granted what a blessing it was to be a Boy Scout because I always enjoyed it so much. But I don't think I ever realized more than I did tonight how much it meant to have my dad there with me so much. We got to go on a lot of trips together. I got to see so many amazing things with him in a Scout uniform! I know I couldn't have had a better teacher and leader. Being an Eagle Scout puts you in great company... Men who have led countries, walked on the moon, won professional sports championships... But none of them are cooler than my dad. Thanks, Dad.
Labels:
Dad,
Eagle Scout,
Josh Smith
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment