Once I got my whip done, the next thing on the check list was trophies. I got pretty behind with everything else going on and it ended up being the day of and still no trophies. I called the Scout Office in Ogden at a quarter to 2:00 and guess what time they closed: 2:00. (No, they wouldn't wait for me.) So I started to scramble for anything and everything and that's when I found Bennett's Jewelry and Trophies. Turns out he'd just moved to Layton so it was a short 5 minute drive to his place. He had all of his supplies just junked together in the garage so we started literally piecing together trophies from whatever we could find. He said he had no derby cars, but as I was digging through boxes, I found some! So we put those together and that left the "Best in Show" trophy. Bennett was suggesting a medal or plaque, but it just didn't seem right. That's when I found HER... the pageant queen! It was perfect! So about 45 minutes later, I walked out with my 3 derby car and "Best in Show" trophies!
The Derby was prime! We had 18 cars and the track was legit this year. (No, no "Jack the Track" this time.) Everything was computerized and the track was smooth and no wheels fell off... Haha. I think everyone had a good time. We had some really creative entries this year! In the modified division, Brad actually had his axle remote controlled! And Curt Colyer had one the most creative ideas of all. He took a balsa wood plane and mounted the propeller on the front of his car and had the wings removable for racing! His "airplane" was FAST too! He wound the propeller and the stop on the track held it in place until it was released and zooooom! So sick! Joe's car was a work of art. He made a Formula 1 racer, but he literally carved the whole thing! AMAZING. It turned out so sweet. Once again, I was shut out of the podium, but I think if there was a "Most Surprising" award, the Cat would've won it. I didn't have any graphite for the wheels so... I used WD-40! And the Cat was fast! Not fast enough for a trophy, but fast enough to turn heads. And as Dad always says, "If you look good, you are good!" Here's some pics and a video of the Cat kicking catnip!
In the end, it was Tyler Housholder taking home the prize for fastest car. Steve Roberts pulled out second with his childhood pinewood derby racer with $0.36 taped on the hood, and Scott Beal took third, probably the happiest guy there that night. It was sick. Housholder also got "Best in Show" (I was robbed!) for his pickup truck car. It was ill, though. A real piece of pinewood art. Sigh... another successful Derby in the books. Kinda sad we have to wait until next year now...
| The winners! (Be sure to click on the photo to enlarge!) |
No comments:
Post a Comment