So it's Monday night and we invited our friends Joe and Lisa Dryden over for dinner and Family Home Evening. Joe is an avid BYU fan and "somehow" had found a bunch of U of U stuff on his car. That same night, I got up at 12:30 to get a drink of water and I'm standing in the kitchen in th
e dark in my underwear when I see a car pull up to the driveway, watch Tyson Moody get out, climb in the back of my truck, and start writing on my window. I called Jason, the driver, Steve Earl, the passenger, and Tyson and let them know they got caught. (It was hilarious watching Jason drive away with Tyson chasing him down the street on foot...) So Joe and I had both been hit. And we were talking about different ways to return the favor when Lisa shared a prank that had been done to her in college. Apparently someone and run by the dorm and tossed a live duck into their apartment! I'm honestly not sure how we actually decided to go through with it, but "somehow" we found ourselves in the truck on our way to the Layton Park in search of a duck.
e dark in my underwear when I see a car pull up to the driveway, watch Tyson Moody get out, climb in the back of my truck, and start writing on my window. I called Jason, the driver, Steve Earl, the passenger, and Tyson and let them know they got caught. (It was hilarious watching Jason drive away with Tyson chasing him down the street on foot...) So Joe and I had both been hit. And we were talking about different ways to return the favor when Lisa shared a prank that had been done to her in college. Apparently someone and run by the dorm and tossed a live duck into their apartment! I'm honestly not sure how we actually decided to go through with it, but "somehow" we found ourselves in the truck on our way to the Layton Park in search of a duck.It turns out that ducks aren't that easy to catch. We had plenty of bread and they'd come to the shore, but the geese kept knocking them out of the way and were much more aggressive. After 20 minutes of trying to work around the honkers, we decided to improvise... So we caught a goose instead! We lured it between us and Joe caught it by the neck, no big deal. It actually was very calm. In fact, it just laid down until I picked it up. We threw a towel over it, waited until the coast was clear, and took off at a run and jumped into the back of the Dryden's Trailblazer. It was an pretty uneventful trip back towards Jason's house. Well, besides the fact that I was holding a giant white goose. (No really, this goose was huge.)
We pulled into the church parking lot, snapped a picture, grabbed a big
quilt to hide our goose under, and made our way in the dark to Jason's house. The plan was to put the goose between the screen and the door, knock, and run. When they opened the door, the goose would run inside and mayhem would ensue! The only problem was, when we got to the door, our goose was so big it barely fit! And when I say barely, I mean that it probably shouldn't have fit... but we kind of made it fit... Anyway, we got the goose in the door, knocked, and ran! We watched from a safe distance and waited... and waited... and no open door. We started to worry about our feathered friend so I crept back up, made sure the coast was clear, and knocked again. Then I heard Jason's wife: "Yeah, we know it's there!"
quilt to hide our goose under, and made our way in the dark to Jason's house. The plan was to put the goose between the screen and the door, knock, and run. When they opened the door, the goose would run inside and mayhem would ensue! The only problem was, when we got to the door, our goose was so big it barely fit! And when I say barely, I mean that it probably shouldn't have fit... but we kind of made it fit... Anyway, we got the goose in the door, knocked, and ran! We watched from a safe distance and waited... and waited... and no open door. We started to worry about our feathered friend so I crept back up, made sure the coast was clear, and knocked again. Then I heard Jason's wife: "Yeah, we know it's there!"
Back at our hiding place, we watched Jason come out the side door, open the screen, and out popped the goose. By this time it had pooped all over his step and was now honking up a storm. Soon
the neighbors came out and the whole street was trying to figure out what was causing all the commotion. It was about this time when Jason called me... "Well played," he said. "What are you talking about?" was my reply. "You put a GOOSE in my door!" Hahaha. I lied through my teeth and actually got him to think it wasn't me when I offered to come help him get rid of the thing. So I ran around the block, got in my truck, and pulled up just as if I had been at home enjoying a restful evening. As I pulled up, I saw three people walking up the street cautiously. A voice called out: "Juli...? Are you okay?" Jason's wife: "Yeah. Someone just put a goose in our door!" The three people came into the light and it was none other than the bishop, his wife, and the former bishop! "Who did this to you?" they asked. Juli: "It was him!" and pointed right at me. "How do you know it was me?!" I shot back. "Who else would it be?!" I thought quickly and replied: "If it was me, it would have been a dead deer." That seemed to pacify everyone. I'm not sure if I should be relieved or offended...
Back to the story. The bishop: "Wow. Well this is a lot better than toilet paper!" Hahahaha. That was the line of the night. So we chased the goose around the street, hoping it would fly away, but it didn't. In fact, it started following Jason around and laid down in the front yard as if it was nesting. We think it thought Jason was its mom. I told him he was stuck with it and left to eat dessert and revel in the glory of our prank. We started to feel bad, though. The goose wasn't leaving and Jason's daughter prayed that the goose would get home safe in her prayers so that kinda tugs at your heartstrings... So Joe and I went back over. Jason was out in the street chasing the goose away again. A dog saw it and started barking at it and right as we were pulling up, the thing ran headfirst into the front of the truck! We thought we'd killed it, but it was okay.
the neighbors came out and the whole street was trying to figure out what was causing all the commotion. It was about this time when Jason called me... "Well played," he said. "What are you talking about?" was my reply. "You put a GOOSE in my door!" Hahaha. I lied through my teeth and actually got him to think it wasn't me when I offered to come help him get rid of the thing. So I ran around the block, got in my truck, and pulled up just as if I had been at home enjoying a restful evening. As I pulled up, I saw three people walking up the street cautiously. A voice called out: "Juli...? Are you okay?" Jason's wife: "Yeah. Someone just put a goose in our door!" The three people came into the light and it was none other than the bishop, his wife, and the former bishop! "Who did this to you?" they asked. Juli: "It was him!" and pointed right at me. "How do you know it was me?!" I shot back. "Who else would it be?!" I thought quickly and replied: "If it was me, it would have been a dead deer." That seemed to pacify everyone. I'm not sure if I should be relieved or offended...Back to the story. The bishop: "Wow. Well this is a lot better than toilet paper!" Hahahaha. That was the line of the night. So we chased the goose around the street, hoping it would fly away, but it didn't. In fact, it started following Jason around and laid down in the front yard as if it was nesting. We think it thought Jason was its mom. I told him he was stuck with it and left to eat dessert and revel in the glory of our prank. We started to feel bad, though. The goose wasn't leaving and Jason's daughter prayed that the goose would get home safe in her prayers so that kinda tugs at your heartstrings... So Joe and I went back over. Jason was out in the street chasing the goose away again. A dog saw it and started barking at it and right as we were pulling up, the thing ran headfirst into the front of the truck! We thought we'd killed it, but it was okay.

We told Jason it was us (this after confessing to the bishop on our way over) and we all know the best way to ice over a good prank on a friend. You invite the prankee to join the prankers in pranking another friend! We caught the goose, drove over to Steve Earl's house, and put it on his front porch! Joe rang the bell and we ran into the bushes and watched as he came to the front door, looked around, and saw a big white goose staring back at him. My favorite part of the whole thing was Steve saying: "Go home! Shoo! Stop honking!" Hahaha. Classic. We finally came out after he started to chase us down. We caught the goose again (by this time it was becoming quite well trained) and wrapped him in the quilt. He sat up front this time as we took him back to the park. We let him go back at the park and he thanked us for letting him be involved in our Family Home Evening activity. Actually, no. He started honking what I'm sure was goose profanity and all of a sudden the other geese started swimming towards us really fast, also honking obscenities, and got out on the shore and started coming at us! That's when we ran back to the truck and called it a night. Sigh... what a great night... what a great prank... what great friends...
____________________
Post Note: I took that picture of the goose in the door and sent it to Jason as a memento... I've since received that same picture sent to me by three different people in the ward asking if I'd seen it. Of course I have! I took it! Yeah, the goose has gone viral! Hahahahahahahahahahaha
WOW!! What an amazing prank! I'm pretty sure it won't be beat anytime soon!
ReplyDelete